Vacancy: American Journal of Human Biology – Editor-in-Chief
The American Journal of Human Biology (AJHB), the official Journal of the Human Biology Association (HBA), seeks a new Editor-in-Chief. The Editor-in-Chief oversees the peer review of manuscripts, working with the Associate Editors (based on their area of expertise), and is ultimately responsible for all editorial decisions made at the Journal. In addition, she/he commissions special issues, manages the editorial board, and works closely with the Senior Editor, editorial office and production staff at Wiley, with the President of the HBA, and is a key member of the Association’s Publication Committee. The position begins formally in September 2019, but ideally will have an editorial transition starting April 2019.
The position as Editor-in-Chief of the AJHB includes the following responsibilities:
- Ensure the high quality and integrity of the Journal.
- Maintaining high scientific standards in the peer-review process and ensure that the Journal adheres to ethical standards.
- Ensure efficient handling of the manuscripts by the Associate Editors, Editorial Board members, and additional reviewers, and maintain communication with the Wiley production team once the papers are approved for publication.
- Lead the Editorial Board, chair the annual editorial board meeting, advise on the composition and succession plans of the Editorial Board members, and mentor new members.
- Support the preparation and realization of strategic editorial plans to maintain/increase the status and visibility of the Journal.
- Collaborate with the marketing staff at Wiley on the promotion of the Journal.
- Solicit articles and special issues in consultation with the Associate Editors and the Editorial Board.
- Drive the journal development including the aims and scope and implement new article types as needed, and engage new technologies to advance journal efficiency, impact, and diversity.
- Prepare an annual report on the status of the Journal to be delivered at the annual HBA meeting and submit the report as part of the business meeting proceeding for publication in the AJHB.
- Represent the public face of the Journal, e.g., at national and international scientific meetings, including HBA annual meetings.
- Expertise in human biology and/or closely allied fields with an active and relevant research record.
- Commitment to advancing the diversity of the field of human biology.
- Strong leadership, communication, organizational, and collaboration skills.
- A wide sphere of influence and range of contacts in human biology.
- Prior experience with academic journal editing (e.g., board member, Associate Editorship), including experience with online editorial systems.
- Commitment to engaging technological innovations to advance publishing/dissemination of the journal.
- Willingness to travel to conferences to promote and acquire content for the journal.
- Highest professional and ethical standards.
Please email your curriculum vitae with a cover letter addressing your background, history with the Journal and vision for the Journal to the Chair of the Human Biology Association Publication Committee: Dr Alejandra Nuñez-de la Mora (email@example.com) by December 7, 2018.
About the American Journal of Human Biology:
The American Journal of Human Biology is the official journal of the Human Biology Association, a bimonthly, peer-reviewed, internationally circulated journal that publishes reports of original research, theoretical articles and timely reviews, and brief communications in the dynamic, interdisciplinary field of human biology, as well as special issues that may be guest-edited. The transdisciplinary areas covered in the Journal include, but are not limited to, epidemiology, genetic variation, population biology and demography, physiology, anatomy, nutrition, growth and aging, physical performance, physical activity and fitness, ecology, and evolution, along with their interactions. The field of human biology has undergone considerable growth and diversification in recent years, and the recent and expected expansion of the aims and scope of the Journal is a reflection of this growth and membership diversification. The Journal is committed to prompt review, and priority publication is given to manuscripts with novel or timely findings, and to manuscripts of unusual interest. The current journal editor is Dr Lynette Leidy Sievert.
About the Human Biology Association:
The Human Biology Association is a vibrant nonprofit interdisciplinary scientific organization dedicated to supporting and disseminating innovative research and teaching on human biological variation in evolutionary, social, historical, and environmental context worldwide.