We are excited to introduce the new Human Biology Association Book Award, recognizing significant contributions to our understanding of human biology, advancing theory, approaches, methods, or the teaching or practice of human biology.
- The book must have been published within seven years of the nomination (e.g., published in 2012 or more recently for an award given out in 2019).
- Books may be singled-authored, multi-authored, or edited (the latter recognizes the increasing importance of intra-/inter-disciplinary research in order to understand complex phenomena)
- New editions, including formerly nominated books, are eligible for nomination but only if substantial revisions have been made since the prior edition. It will be the responsibility of the nominator(s) to indicate what these revisions are.
- Textbooks are eligible for consideration.
- Book authors do not have to be members of the Human Biology Association.
- The Nominator must be an HBA Fellow.
- Nominations must be made directly to the Publications Committee Chair.
- The Nominator prepares a letter of nomination that describes the book’s contributions to the field of human biology and can include reviews of the book.
- The Publications Committee will compile a review file including the letter(s) of nomination and copies of book reviews.
- Book nominations are due by June 15.
- The Publications Chair contacts the author/publisher to request two copies of the book(s).
- If more than three books are nominated in a single year, the Publications Committee reviews the files and selects the top three nominees.
- The Publications Committee reads the book(s) and selects the winner.
- The Publications Committee Chair notifies the Executive Committee and the author(s)/editor(s). is/are contacted by the Publications Committee Chair and invited to attend the subsequent HBA meetings to receive the award.
- A plaque/or plaques will be given to the author(s)/editor(s).
- $500 for travel will be paid to the author to attend the meetings and receive the award. In the case of multi-authored books, the travel award will be divided among those authors attending the meetings and receiving the award.
- The author(s)/editor(s) will receive gratis tickets to the Awards Luncheon at the HBA meetings.
- Non-members of the Human Biology Association will be given a free one-year membership to the association.
The Publications Committee will work with the publisher to advertise the HBA and this Award on the winning book’s cover.
The Award will be presented to the winner(s) at the meeting’s Awards Luncheon. Please send any questions and letters of nomination via email to Chris Kuzawa, Publications Committee Chair, at email@example.com.